Theft of personal and financial information puts people at risk of additional problems. Thieves often use the stolen data to:
- Sell the information to other criminals
- Withdraw money from a bank account
- Make credit card purchases
- File a fraudulent tax return for a refund using a victim’s name.
Victims should follow these steps to minimize the effect:
- Determine what information the thieves compromised
- Place a freeze on credit accounts
- Reset password on online accounts
- Use multi-factor authentication if available.