Law keeps seven tax brackets, but with different rates. Top rate lowered from 39.6% to 37%.
Inflation indexing of income tax brackets and various tax breaks is altered. According to critics, this is a hidden tax hike that over time will nail nearly all individual filers.
- Tax rates on long term capital gains and qualified dividends do not change
- 0% rate with taxable income under $38,600 on single and $77,200 on joint returns
- 20% rate starts at $425,800 for single and $479,000 for joint filers
- 15% rate applies for filers with incomes between those break points
The law keeps the individual alternative minimum tax with higher exemptions
- Obamacare’s individual mandate is on the way out
- The requirement that persons have health insurance, qualify for an exemption, pay a fine is repealed for post 2018 years
- The mandate continues to applies for 2018
The child tax credit is doubles to $2,000 for each dependent under age 17, up to $1,400 of the credit refundable.
Estates & Trusts:
- Fewer esate will be subject to the estate tax
- Congress doubled lifetime estate gift tax exemption to $11 million
- Rate remains 40%
- Gift tax exclusion for 2018 is $15,000 per donee
Continue Watching for Future Updates!!