Most individual tax provisions are temporary. They expire after 2025. Let’s start with individual taxes. Standard deductions nearly double. The new law pares back many deductions claimed.
- Personal exemptions for individual filers and their dependents no longer exist.
- State and local taxes are being squeezed. Deductions include residential property and income or sales taxed up to a $10,000 cap.
- Taxes paid on rental realty can be taken in full on Schedule E.
Corporate tax changes are made permanent!
Other write-offs are eliminated. Job-related moves, except for the military. All miscellaneous write-offs subject to the 2% of AGI threshold:
- Employee business expenses
- Brokerage and IRA fees
- Hobby expenses
- Tax return preparation costs
- Personal casualty losses eliminated
The charitable contribution write-offs is preserved with some changes:
- AGI limitations on cash donation is hiked from 50% to 60%
- Medical expenses deduction is enhanced
- Temporarily lowered the AGI threshold on Schedule A for 10% to 7.5%
WATCH FOR FUTURE UPDATES!