New information has come out concerning Economic Impact Payments made to a deceased taxpayer.
Does someone who died qualify for the Economic Impact Payment?
• No. A payment made to someone who died before receipt of the Payment should be return to the IRS.
• Return the entire payment unless the payment was made to joint filers and one spouse had not died before receipt of the Payment. In this case you only need to return the portion of the Payment made on account of the decedent.
How do you return an Economic Impact Payment?
1. Write “Void” in the endorsement section on the back of the check.
2. Mail the Voided Treasury check immediately (NC residents) return mailing address: Memphis Refund Inquiry Unit; 5333 Getwell Rd; Mail Stop 8422; Memphis, TN 38118
3. Include a note stating the reason for returning the check.
If you have cashed the check or payment was a direct deposit:
1. Submit a personal check, money order, etc., immediately to the IRS location
2. Write on the check/money order made payable to the U.S. Treasury and write 2020EIP, and the taxpayer SSN or ITIN of the recipient of the check.
3. Include a brief explanation of the reason for returning the EIP.