What taxpayers need to know about filing an amended tax return

If taxpayers discover a mistake on their tax return, most common errors can be fixed by filing Form 1040X.

Some reasons people may need to file an amended return:

  • Entering income incorrectly
  • Not claiming credits for which they are eligible
  • Claiming deductions incorrectly
  • Incorrect filing status

The IRS may correct math or clerical errors on a return and may accept returns without certain required forms or schedules. In these instances, there is no need for taxpayers to amend the return.

Here are some things taxpayers who do need to amend their tax return should know:

  • At this time, only tax year 2019 Forms 1040 and 1040-SR returns can be amended electronically if the original 2019 tax return was also filed electronically.
  • Taxpayers can choose to file a paper 1040-X.
  • If filing a paper 1040-X, mail it to the address listed in the form’s instructions. Taxpayers filing 1040-X in response to an IRS Notice should mail it to the address indicated on the notice.
  • Attach copies of any forms or schedules affected by the change.
  • File a separate Form 1040-X for each tax year.
  • Wait- If expecting a refund- for the original tax return to be processed before filing an amended return.
  • Pay additional tax owed as soon as possible to limit interest and penalty charges.
  • Taxpayers should file Form 1040-X to claim a refund within 3 years from the date they timely filed their original return or within two years from the date they pay the tax, whichever is later.