- Call to demand immediate payment using a specific payment method such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer. Generally, IRS will first mail a bill to taxpayer who owes taxes.
- Threaten to immediately bring in local police or other law enforcement groups to have the taxpayer arrested for not paying.
- Demand taxes be paid without giving taxpayers the opportunity to question or appeal the amount owed.
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
- Call you about an unexpected refund.
For Taxpayers Who Don’t Owe Taxes or Don’t Think They Do:
- Do not give out any information. Hang up immediately.
- Contact the IRS to report the call at 1-800-366-4484.